Warm German Potato Salad
To go along with my German Cabbage Soup recipe, I make this warm German potato salad.
Warm German Potato Salad recipe with key ingredients ~
The vinegar adds the acidic and tart flavor, along with the stone ground German mustard. Not shown is the addition of granulated sugar to add the sweetness, and cornstarch to thicken the sauce up a bit. I’ve used any type of potatoes, but the type I love the most are the tiny ones or fingerling. Boil just to the point of cooking through and then cool just about 5 minutes. Slice or dice and add the sauce. Serve immediately since it’s best slightly warm.
- 1 pound small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 8 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (seems like a lot, but it's right)
- 4 Tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons Stone Ground German Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (appx.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking dish and set aside.
- Place potatoes whole with skins on in enough cold salted water to cover potatoes and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 8-9 minutes, or just until they are barely tender when tested with a fork.
- Drain and allow potatoes to cool enough to handle. Slice into 1/2-inch slices, leaving skins on. Place in prepared baking dish, layering, and salt & pepper generously.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon pieces until crisp. Remove to drain on paper towels. Cook the onion in the same skillet as the bacon in the remaining bacon grease until limp and leave in pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, cornstarch, sugar and mustard. Add to the onion in skillet. Cook on medium and stir until slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce in skillet over potatoes in baking dish, adding additional salt and pepper, to taste, and parsley. Stir gently to mix.
- Bake uncovered 15-20 minutes and serve warm or room temperature. Serves 8.
- Sometimes I omit the baking since the dressing is warm and the potatoes are cooked and slightly warm.