Take Along Layered Salad
A layered salad is the perfect thing to bring to a potluck or any gathering because you need to make it the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. The issue is that a layered salad is made to sit pretty in a glass trifle dish.
This recipe is a take along layered salad that is prepared and layered in a Rubbermaid Take Along large rectangle container. Perfect for giving food in and leaving behind.
It’s a simple recipe that can use whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. It’s topped with a mixture of sour cream, real mayo and 1/2 a packet of dry ranch dressing. I’ve tried it with an entire packet, and it is too strong and not as good.
First, make the dressing and refrigerate while you make the layers. Sour cream, mayo (I use only Duke’s) and 1/2 packet of dry ranch dressing mix. Mix and refrigerate.
Rinse and chop iceburg lettuce (or romaine or green leaf) and make sure it’s dry. Place in the bottom of the container and season with freshly ground black pepper, salt and some Mrs. Dash (I don’t know why, but it always adds the perfect something in a salad).
I chop all my veggies ahead of time, and this time I used peeled and seeded cucumber, diced; green onion, green bell pepper and shredded carrot for color. You can always add frozen peas that have been thawed as a layer, but truthfully I forgot about them this time. I don’t add tomatoes because of the liquid in them, but you can always seed and drain them after you chop them up. Red and yellow and orange bell peppers look nice also.
Now the final touch-dollup the dressing over the top and spread. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar or any cheese of your choice and then bacon bits. Don’t be afraid to use the real bacon bits in a bag, there’s wonderful and easy. You can even see the layers through the sides of the container. The wonderful thing about Rubbermaid Take Alongs. And, NO, I’m not a sponsered by Rubbermaid! I just happen to love these containers.
- 1½ cups mayo (I use Duke's)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ packet dry ranch dressing mix1 head iceberg lettuce, cored, rinsed, dried well and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ¾ cup frozen peas, rinsed and thawed and drained (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Oscar Meyer real bacon bits
- In a medium bowl, mix mayo, sour cream and dry ranch mix. Refrigerate.
- In the bottom of a container with a lid (large rectangle container), layer salad, cucumber, bell pepper, carrot, celery, onions and peas (if used).
- Dollup dressing generously over top and spread to edges. Top with cheese then bacon bits.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, mix dressing in with salad and serve right away. Serves about 10-12
- You can add cooked and drained pasta as a layer, as well as cooked diced chicken, turkey, or any meat for a main dish.