Easy Skillet Italian Sausage, Peppers and Noodles
The best recipes are made up as you go along. This one is no different.
I had some Italian sausage and wanted to make sausage and peppers, but the same old recipe with red sauce over angel hair just didn’t sound good to me tonight. I wanted a more substantial and meaty taste, so I started out with olive oil and cooked the sausages on all sides on medium heat.
Then I added the onion and green pepper. This is where I got a little creative. After the veggies cooked about 2 minutes, I seasoned them with salt and pepper, then some dried Italian seasoning mix and added a little brown gravy mix, then some cold water and stirred. I covered and cooked this about 5 minutes.
Then I realized I needed a depth in flavor, so I added a couple of spoonfuls of tomato paste. Then a squeeze of half a lemon for acidity. Then I added a touch of Kitchen Bouquet to deepen the flavor a little more. A little more brown gravy mix with a little more water, then another spoonful of tomato sauce until it tasted just right.
Turned down to low heat, covered and slow cooked while I boiled some salted water to cook some egg noodles in then simply drained them well and added them right to the skillet on top of the savory and seasoned gravy.
This may very well become one of my favorite dinner meals!
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 19 oz. package Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced, or chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 packet brown gravy mix
- 1/2 small can tomato paste (appx.)
- 1 teaspoon (or less) kitchen bouquet
- 1 cube beef bouillon, crumbled
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 8 oz. dried egg noodles (about 2 big handfuls into salted boiling water)
- dried or fresh parsley
- In a large pan over medium heat, add oil and sausages. Cook, turning, until browned on all sides. Add green peppers and onion.
- Continue to cook about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Mix gravy mix into water and stir; add to skillet. Add tomato paste, kitchen bouquet and crumbled beef bouillon cube. Continue to cook, turning heat to low and covering.
- Cook about 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and cover. Continue to cook on low while boiling egg noodles. Cook and drain noodles, add to skillet to gravy, add some salt and black pepper to noodles along with parsley. Drizzle some gravy over noodles and serve right out of pan.
- Package has 5 sausages, so serves 3-4.