Inside Out LC Eggroll
This dish has many names, from “keto crack” to “eggroll in a bowl” to “coleslaw crack.” I call mine inside out eggroll because that’s what it tastes like-the inside of a good, crunchy high carb eggroll fried to perfection but without all the carbs. For example, a normal little pork eggroll at a Chinese takeout restaurant has around 25 carbs-25 carbs! No thanks!
This recipe has anywhere between 4-5 net carbs per serving. If you’re like me and my husband and eat the entire recipe, double the carb count because it serves “4.”
It’s EASY! I mean one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made, and it’s very forgiving. You can substitute whatever low carb veggie you’d like and use any ground meat-beef, pork, turkey. I used Aldi’s grass-fed ground beef because it’s so good and very affordable at 4.99 a pound. The best part of this recipe is that you use a bag of already prepared coleslaw mix. I like the shredded kind in a 16 ounce bag.
I used soy sauce and sriracha sauce, but you can always add a little splash of sesame oil and/or rice wine vinegar, I bet it’d give it a good flavor. But with just soy sauce and a little sriracha we thought we’d died and gone to heaven! A little sliced green onions on top is a nice touch too-I added and then had to reheat since hubby was a little late from work, but I think I’d wait and sprinkle them on next time at the end. I guess you could add sesame seeds, sliced almonds, etc. too. Adjust for any additional carbs.
- 1-2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound ground beef or pork
- 1 Tablespoon appx. minced garlic
- 16 ounces shredded coleslaw mix
- soy sauce
- black pepper
- sriracha sauce
- sliced green onions-1 or 2
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add coconut oil. Add ground meat and brown with garlic, breaking with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until meat is cooked through.
- Add coleslaw mix and continue to cook, stirring occasionally. Cook on medium until cabbage is soft.
- Add soy sauce to taste, black pepper to taste and a little sriracha sauce to taste. Top with green onions at the end right before serving. Serves 4, but we split it between the 2 of us at appx. 8 net gm carbs each. If feeding 4, only 4 net carbs per serving.
- Add a touch of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar if you'd like. Also add any other veggie like baby bok choy, spinach, celery, carrot, etc.