Date Nut Balls
What would a Christmas be without recipes passed down from generation to generation?
This is one of those recipes-it’s a candy made of chopped dates, nuts, crispy rice cereal-all sticky and rolled in coconut. I mean, really. My favorite ultimate Christmas candy.
I start off by making it twice, then I usually end up buying 2 more boxes of chopped dates to make 2 more recipes. After the mixture boils and cooks to form a candy, and after it cools to room temperature (very important or you’ll burn your fingers and mouth!), do yourself a favor and take a bite. It. is. Heavenly. Then quickly roll the rest into balls and into coconut before you eat the entire batch!
- 1 stick butter
- 8 ounce package chopped dates
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, bring the butter, date and sugar to a boil, stirring. Continue to cook 3 additional minutes, turning heat to medium and stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla and cereal and stir. Let this cool to the touch.
- Roll into small balls, dropping into a bowl of coconut and rolling around. Place on waxed paper, then to cool.