This is the kind of coleslaw you find at a good deli. It’s creamy (not the vinegar type that I can’t stand), and you start with a bag of coleslaw mix from the produce section of your grocery store.
Be sure and carefully measure the dressing ingredients because once I just poured what I thought was necessary into the bowl, and it turned out a watery mess. The recipe measurements are perfect for the 1 bag of coleslaw mix. It’s great on a pulled pork sandwich, better than you can get at restaurants. That’s my humble opinion anyway.
- 1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine the coleslaw and onion in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice; mix until smooth. Pour mixture over the coleslaw and onion; stir well and chill for 1 hour.